13, Arena Stage, children, DC Theatre, Fiddler on the Roof, Jason Robert Brown, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Kennedy Center, Mary Poppins, McLean Community Players, MCP, Musical Theatre, National Theatre, Olney Theatre Center, performing arts, Pippin, The Little Mermaid, Toby's Dinner Theatre
Fun fact: I am making my producing debut in 2015. I am in the progress of co-producing 13, with music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown, with the McLean Community Players (MCP). The show runs January 30 – February 15, 2015, and in the meantime, I’m busy with rehearsals. So far, the process has been a lot of fun, and I’m learning just how much some kids love musical theatre, particularly the awesome teenagers I’m working with.
At any given time, the DC area theatre scene undoubtedly offers family-friendly musicals, and this fall and winter, there are plenty of big hits coming to town. Here are a few I’d recommend:
- Fiddler on the Roof at Arena Stage from October 31, 2014 – January 4, 2015
- Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat at The Kennedy Center from December 16, 2014 – January 4, 2015
- The Little Mermaid at Olney Theatre Center from November 12 – December 28, 2014
- Mary Poppins at Toby’s Dinner Theatre November 14, 2014 – February 22, 2015
- Pippin at the National Theatre December 16, 2014 – January 4, 2015
If you have kids, perhaps they’d like to see a musical this coming holiday season!