1st Stage, Arena Stage, Cabaret, Capital Fringe, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, DC Theatre, Dear Evan Hansen, Dogfight, Fringe Festival, Keegan Theatre, musical, National Theatre, Newsies, Play, Signature Theatre, summer cabarets, The Good Counselor, theatreWashington
On Tuesday, I had the pleasure of seeing Newsies at the National Theatre. Not only did it remind me how much I loved the show on Broadway, but the message of “seizing the day” resonated more than ever. So, while summer in the DC area is full of activities, I recommend you don’t delay and see a show (or several)! Here are a few recommendations:
- Cabaret at Signature Theatre (running through June 28) ~ Tickets are scarce, so act fast if you want to see this stellar musical!
- The Good Counselor, a drama, is an intriguing play running at 1st Stage through June 28 – Don’t forget that 1st Stage is now a short walk away from the Spring Hill Metro Station!
- Capital Fringe’s Summer Fringe Festival 2015 features a variety of new work at several DC locations in July ~ Plus, if you like to fit this in with other shows, performance times vary, many allowing for multiple shows in one night!
- The Sizzlin’ Summer Cabarets series at Signature Theatre offers a variety of shows in July that likely has something for everyone’s tastes ~ I highly recommend the Revenge of the Understudies Cabaret that features Signature’s understudies from the 2014-2015 season!
- Dear Evan Hansen at Arena Stage (July 10 – August 23) ~ This world premiere Pasek & Paul musical boasts a fantastic cast, featuring many Broadway actors.
- Keegan Theatre reopens on a high note with productions of Cat in a Hot Tin Roof and Dogfight this summer, and personally, I can’t wait to check out their new facility!
This list barely touches on the theatre opportunities in the DC area this summer. Visit theatreWashington.org for a more complete list!